Wednesday, January 24, 2007

D-Fens

Since Mark Shea feels so comforable telling others on the blogosphere what to say or do (example, "get a life!" ), I'll take this opportunity to go and do likewise. Here's my prescription for Mark Shea, in return for his to me: Shea should stop reading the contra blog, especially since he's not doing Dreher any favors in doing so. When on his own blog Shea highlights, in bold lettering and mid-space, a purposely innocuous exchange between myself and a commenter from our blog, and claims that in it we make dire analyses of his buddy Dreher --- well, let's just say that with friends like Shea, Dreher needs no contras. It's also clear that Shea pores over this blog with great care, since he venomously spits back random bits with what is becoming frightening regularity. Which can only be the point of his reading it -- to cultivate his own anger. (Unless, on some level he doesn't wish to acknowledge, he's, um "enjoying it").

Shea wishes to silence us, of course, by implying -- no, proclaiming -- that we're the crazies. He loves to call us "obsessostalkers" which is interesting, because it seems to me Shea has done a great deal of obsessing and stalking of us. Shea has even christened our blog with his very own nickname, and even given that nickname an acronym. cute!

I'm still amused that Mark Shea runs a blog called Catholic and Enjoying It. I guess he is catholic, and in some perverse way enjoying "it", but I can assure him that other catholics -- in particular those who value sanity -- don't enjoy it, and for myriad reasons. Has it dawned on him that other catholics don't appreciate his fondness for vitriol and flame-throwing? Or the fact that Shea indulgently cultivates his anger while he simultaneously sells his services as a professional catholic apologist? It's not really that great for catholicism when the catholic apologist on TV calls to mind Michael Douglas with a crewcut, horn-rims, and an automatic weapon. Besides, this sort of thing is not good for his heart. And for a self-proclaimed "fat guy", the physical one too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pauli said...

I'm going to be blogging at a new site, dedicated to criticizing one person: me. Personal attacks welcome.

9:27 AM  
Blogger kathleen said...

Pauli, we can insult you and personally attack you right here, if you like!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Andy Nowicki said...

Hey, don't liken Mark Shea to D-FENS! I liked D-FENS! Micheal Douglas's most poignant and most hilarious character ever. A classic.

2:04 PM  
Blogger kathleen said...

i confess i didn't see the movie, i just see the character as the archetypal neat-as-a-pin-on-the-outside, consumed-with-rage-on-the-inside, psycho.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Carpenter said...

I think Mark more closely resembles Howard Beale from the movie "Network."

5:47 PM  
Blogger Flambeaux said...

Wow...others who feel the same way I do about both Shea & Dreher.

Sad to say, it was a long time coming. I used to think highly of both -- until Dreher launched a self-righteous, unprovoked attack on my father-in-God, and Shea just became a dyed-in-the-wool, foaming at the mouth, loony.

Thanks for all your efforts. I'll enjoy reading the blog when I have more time.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home