Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dangerous Ideas

Citing the annual question "What's your dangerous idea?" from the "World Question Center" (a group who, by the way, is currently trying to recruit my 4-year-old son), Rod puts forth his dangerous idea, which is "Liberal democracy cannot be sustained in a secular, materialistic culture." IMHO, that's probably true in general, but his minor premise is that we do live in a secular, materialistic culture, which I'm not so sure about. How secular or religious our culture is seems to be a matter of degrees rather than a definitive pronouncement on one side or another.

But Rod's an all-or-nothing kind of guy; what can I say. And in typical fashion, he states that he doesn't want the comments to be in response to his "dangerous idea", but that visitors should present their own dangerous ideas in the comments, i. e., ideas which won't get them banned.

Some of the comments are funny to me; I confess I didn't read them all because I'm too lazy. But I thought since this site is a little more liberal in nature we'd allow any comments, especially regarding Rod's premises. Seems to be like there are a few paranoid folks on the left complaining that America is being run by Taliban-like religious maniacs, a few fever swampers on the right worrying that they're being wire-tapped by atheistic gays trying to abduct their kids and a bunch of folks in the middle going to church and thinking about how they make life better for their family and friends.

Of course also feel free to announce your dangerous ideas. I was thinking of coming up with some type of gunpowder plot idea because I think it would be cool to get burned in effigy once a year.

9 Comments:

Blogger kathleen said...

Here's my dangerous idea: "dangerous ideas" are almost always boring rehashes of premises that have been argued down the centuries by men more articulate, learned, interesting and wise than, say, Rod Dreher.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Pauli said...

This piece from Slate about soccer and America is dangerously funny, completely off the subject of this thread and even slams Bush at the end, remarkably -- well remember, it's Slate. Hat tip to Laura Ingraham.

10:35 AM  
Blogger kathleen said...

?

2:40 PM  
Blogger kathleen said...

steve, sorry i left out "my". i don't see what difference it makes.

ironically, if you understood full time parenting you would see that i'm typing this stuff on the fly and can't be extra careful. it's clear from my response that I got the gist of your quote. if you don't like my response then complain about that, not about my "misquoting" you.

and if you have a problem email me, don't post about it here.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Pauli said...

Hooowwww 'bout them Indians!! WAHOO - beat the Yanks 8-4!!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Pauli said...

Diane, you just inspired me with a DI: How about a blog to which readers can add comments?

Also what about having lunch at McDonald's? That's supposedly really dangerous according to the health Nazis.

6:53 AM  
Blogger kathleen said...

wow! sounds like Rod had a little too much Rose' before writing his latest blog entry. at least he is a happy drinker.

4:49 PM  
Blogger kathleen said...

come to think of it, drinking and blogging is a *truly* dangerous idea.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Pauli said...

Drinking and blogging. Hmmmm.... Maybe since it's Father's Day, you know, I'll get really off my ass later and come on in this here blog and give EVERYBODY a (really small) piece of my mind.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home